The following events occurred on this day in history … to succeed in the future; we must learn from the past. Today is December 11, the 345th day of the year (346th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar.
There are 20 days remaining until the end of the year. and just 14 days until Christmas.
- 220 – Cao Pi forces Emperor Xian of Han to abdicate the Han Dynasty throne. The Cao Wei empire is established. The Three Kingdoms period begins.
- 361 – Julian the Apostate enters Constantinople as sole Emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 630 – Muhammad leads an army of 10,000 to conquer Mecca.
- 969 – Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas is assassinated by his wife Theophano and her lover, the later Emperor John I Tzimiskes.
- 1282 – Llywelyn the Last, the last native Prince of Wales, is killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, south Wales.
- 1602 – A surprise attack by forces under the command of Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy and his brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, is repelled by the citizens of Geneva.
- 1688 – James II of England abdicated the throne by throwing the Great Seal of the Realm into the River Thames.
- 1789 – The University of North Carolina is chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
- 1792 – French Revolution: King Louis XVI of France is put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
- 1815 – The U.S. Senate creates a select committee on finance and a uniform national currency, predecessor of the United States Senate Committee on Finance.